Author Topic: Propagation of Sceletium tortuosum (Kanna)  (Read 9012 times)

Planter

• Administrator
  • Seed
  • man!
    • View Profile
Propagation of Sceletium tortuosum (Kanna)
« on: March 07, 2011, 04:25:03 PM »
Cuttings:
Sceletium tortuosum is rather easy to propagate from cuttings. The biggest factor I've found affecting the length of time it takes for them to root out is the freshness of the cuttings. In order for quick rooting the cuttings must be fresh. They can be kept for at least 48hrs in a bag with the end of the stems wrapped with moist paper towel. They could prob be kept longer, but they will begin to etiolate in the bag and rot and mold will set in eventually. The first cuttings I ever received were mailed unrooted and not terribly well packaged. I managed to get 2/3 to root, but it took me about 3 months to get them to finally produce roots and start growing.
This pot here had 5-6 smaller cuttings(all from the same plant) rooted out in it a few weeks ago and has been under full light for a week or two and has some nice new growth on it that will be used for these new cuttings.

Find a few nice tips, 3-4 nodes long, 3-5" in length, and cut them off.

Carefully pluck off the leaves at the base, being careful not to damage the stem itself, just get the leaves off. You may also need to recut the base depending on how much stem is before the first node at the bottom, you want to be able to get the bottom node into the rooting mix. If there are shoots you can leave them, they will eventually grow up through the mix if they are small and if the shoots have stem that will help produce more roots.

Then, as with pretty much every cutting, they get a rooting hormone treatment, and soak in IBA solution for 5 mins or so. Make sure the bottom node where the leaves were removed is submerged.

The rotting mix here is pretty much the same that I use to grow Catha edulis, and is my general succulent mix (about 2/3 rice hull mix, 1/3 turface, a but of extra coarse perlite and bark). Fill up the tray or pots that you are rotting the cuttings in with moisted mix and poke holes for the cuttings.

You want to get the bottom node all the way into the mix, press the mix in around them gently and then water the cuttings in with the IBA solution and mist them down gently. Then these go into the humidity chamber on a heat mat.

The trick now is to allow the moist media to dry out before you mist them down again. This wetting and then drying process helps to spread up the rate at which they root. In the humidity chamber they will be fine if the media dries out, but dont leave it dry for too long, but unlike with rooting of most herbaceous material the mix should not remain moist constantly. In about 3-5 weeks they should be rooted enough in 1" plugs to be transplanted.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 04:07:25 PM by Planter »
"Once you establish yourself, they got to accept ya!"